In recent years, beards have made a comeback in a big way. Beards have become mainstream and no longer confined to the realm of lumberjacks and hipsters. And more than ever, more and more conservative and traditional workplaces now allow employees to sport facial hair. This is great for regions like the UK that haveseen an upswing in beard popularity over the past decade.
While some men are taking advantage of the trend to sport beards for cultural reasons, others simply enjoy the look and feel of a well-groomed beard. But with great beard comes great responsibility. So regardless of the reasons you choose to sport a mane of facial hair, it's essential to take care of it and use the best possible products to keep your beard looking its best. That's where a beard product like beard conditioner comes in.
What You Need to Know About Your Facial Hair
A well-groomed man is a sign of a confident individual. It takes time and effort to achieve the perfect look, but it is worth it in the end. One important aspect of grooming is facial hair. A beard or moustache can enhance a man's features, but it is important to understand the facial hair landscape before taking the plunge. Like a journey through new territory, mapping the terrain is crucial to avoid any mishaps along the way. This includes a proper understanding of the hair itself as well as the skin underneath.
Beard and Moustache Hair
When it comes to facial hair, a few things set beard and moustache hair apart from the hair on the rest of your body.
- The hair is much thicker and coarser, making it difficult to style.
- The hair follicles are angled differently, resulting in a curved rather than straight shaft.
- When improperly cared for, hair follicles can also become clogged with dead skin cells, leading to inflammation, acne, and ingrown hairs.
- The sebaceous glands that produce oil are larger in facial hair follicles, further increasing the risk of becoming clogged.
However, with a little effort and some knowledge of the best products to use, it is possible to tame even the most unruly beard or moustache. In fact, with the proper care and attention, your facial hair can be an asset, adding character and style to your appearance.
Skin Under Facial Hair
A little bit of facial hair can go a long way in terms of style and sophistication. But what many men don't realise is that the skin under their facial hair is very different from the skin on the rest of their face or body.
The skin on your face is already sensitive, but adding a layer of hair can create an environment that is prime for irritation and breakouts when improperly cared for. As a result, bearded men often suffer from dryness, itchiness, and razor burn. And while these problems are usually thought of as hair issues, they are actually skin issues.
Practising proper skin care is key to keeping your skin healthy and your beard looking its best. For bearded gents, this meanswashing with a high-quality beard shampoo andusing a conditioner to keep the hair follicles and skin hydrated. More on that conditioner in just a moment.
Beard Conditioner Explained
Until recently, the vast majority of men have neglected their facial hair, deeming it nothing more than an unruly nuisance. This is primarily due to a lack of men's grooming and personal care products that cater to this specific need. As a result, men's faces have remained bare. And the brave few that have chosen to cultivate a beard or moustache have had to make do with the limited products available.
But times are changing, and men are starting to pay more attention to their appearance. As a result, there is an increasing demand for better quality grooming products, including conditioners specifically designed for beards.
What is a Conditioner
A hair conditioner is a cream or liquid applied to your hair after shampooing. It helps to improve the texture and appearance of hair, making it feel softer and look shinier. Most conditioners contain ingredients that help to mousturise and protect the hair, such as plant-derived oils and essential nutrients. In addition, conditioners can also help to detangle knots and reduce frizz.
The Differences Between Hair Conditioner and Beard Conditioner
Some men mistakenly believe that hair conditioner and beard conditioner are one and the same. After all, both products are designed to moisturise and soften hair, right? Wrong.
It's a mistake made by many, unfortunately. But even more unfortunate are those who end up smelling like a floral bouquet of roses because they've used the wrong product.
The truth is that hair conditioner and beard conditioner are two very different products. Hair conditioner is designed for the scalp and hair on your head, which is much different from the facial hair on your face. In addition, the skin on your head differs from the skin on your face. As a result, what works for your head might not work for your face. So while both products may serve similar purposes, there are some critical differences between them, namely in the results achieved and the ingredients.
The Benefits of Using Beard Conditioner
Beards require time, patience, and care to look their best. A high-quality beard conditioner is an essential part of any grooming routine and necessary to help you achieve your desired look, whether it's a full, thick, pillow-soft yeard or a trim, well-groomed goatee.
There are many benefits to using a beard conditioner, including:
- Helps soften beard hair –What man doesn't want his beard to be soft? A good beard conditioner can help to soften even the roughest, coarsest hair. (And if you find the man that doesn't want a soft beard, his partner surely will!)
- Makes beard hair more manageable and less tangled – A good conditioner can help to tame unruly facial hair, making it easier to style. It also makes knots and tangles a thing of the past, which can be a godsend if you have a long beard. In addition, you'll find it much easier topull a beard comb through a freshly washed and conditioned beard.
- Keeping the hair and skin hydrated –A well-hydrated beard is a healthy beard. A good conditioner can help keep the hair and skin hydrated, which is essential for appearance and comfort.
- Protects the hair from damage –If you comb or brush your beard hair regularly —which you should! — you may notice that several pieces of precious facial hair end up in your hands or sink instead of staying on your face. A good conditioner can help to protect the hair from damage and breakage, keeping your beard looking its best.
- Prevents split ends –Split ends are the enemy of a healthy beard. Once beard hair strands split at their ends, it will lead to continued damage and the need for a beard trim. Goodbye yeard! That's because if split ends aren't promptly trimmed, they continue to split up the beard hair shaft. This leads to a mane of damaged hair that's brittle and unhealthy. In the worst-case scenario, you may have to do a severe trim or a clean shave to start all over again. Doesn't using a quality beard conditioner sound a lot easier?
- Reduces itchiness and irritation –Soothing the skin beneath the beard can help to reduce itchiness and irritation. This is especially important for men with sensitive skin. In addition, a good conditioner can help to calm the skin and reduce inflammation.
- Stops beard dandruff –Beard dandruff, or "beardruff" as it's sometimes called, is a common problem that men face. It happens when the skin beneath the beard becomes dry and flaky, much like dandruff that forms on your scalp. Left untreated, beardruff can lead to an itchy, uncomfortable beard. It also causes unsightly shedding, which no man wants. Using a good beard conditioner, you'll be able to banish beardruff and keep your facial hair looking healthy.
- May help stimulate growth –No magical cure or miracle elixir will spontaneously grow hair where there was none. However, using a good conditioner can help to stimulate growth. That's because an adequately hydrated and healthy follicle is more likely to produce new beard hair than a dry, damaged one.
- Adds shine – If you're keen on giving your beard a lustrous sheen, using a conditioner is the way to go. A good conditioner can help to add shine and make your beard look its best. After all, nothing makes a mane of face fur look better than a healthy shine.
- Reduces static –By deeply conditioning the beard strands with nurturing oils, beard conditioner will help to reduce static. This is especially helpful in the winter when the air is drier and static electricity is more likely to cause flyaway hair.
- Makes your beard smell great! – When you choose a Seven Potions Beard Conditioner, you have the option of our woodland harmony or citrus tonic fragrances. Where citrus tonic boasts a rich combination of lemon, cedarwood, and other essential oils to deliver an invigorating and fresh aroma, woodland harmony instead blends cedar and sandalwood, among other essential oils, to deliver a woody fragrance with sweet, soft, and warm accents.
How to Use Beard Conditioner
Beard conditioner is easy to use and only takes a few minutes to work its magic.
Before you reach for your beard conditioner, you need to firststart with a good beard shampoo.Seven Potions Beard Shampoo is formulated specifically for facial hair and is gentle enough to use daily. It's also sulfate-free, which means it won't strip away the natural oils your beard needs to stay healthy.
Once you've shampooed your beard, simply apply a small amount of conditioner to your hands and massage it into your facial hair. Start at the roots and work your way out to the tips of the hair.
Let the conditioner sit for a few minutes so that it can penetrate deeply into the hair shafts. Then, rinse it out thoroughly with warm water.
For best results, use a beard conditioner two to three times per week to begin. After that, you can increase frequency as needed. Many men benefit from using it daily, especially when it comes to added beard softness and fewer tangles. And keep in mind your beard may be thirstier in the winter months when the air is dryer. You may also want to follow up with a leave-in conditioner like beard oil or beard balm.
Other Types of Beard Conditioners
Until now, we've been discussing our rinse-out beard conditioner, but other types of conditioners are also available. Similarly, they help to hydrate and soften hair, but they don't need to be rinsed out.
- Beard Oil – A leave-in beard conditioner designed to be used daily. It's made with a carrier oil like jojoba or argan oil, which helps to hydrate the beard, and essential oils, which deliver nutrients to the hair follicles.
- Beard Balm – Another type of leave-in beard conditioner that, unlike beard oil, contains natural wax and butters. This gives it a thicker, creamier consistency. Beard balm can help to tame flyaway hairs and keep your beard looking neater. It may also double as a styling product as many will provide a light hold.
Rinse-Out or Leave-In Beard Conditioner — Which is Best?
Should you use a rinse-out conditioner like our Beard Conditioner or a leave-in conditioner like Seven PotionsBeard Oil orBeard Balm? The answer will depend on your preference, facial hair, and beard care routine.
Rinse-out conditioners are typically lightweight and easy to use. They're ideal for men with finer or shorter beards who want to add some extra softness and shine. However, men with shaggier beards also get a lot of benefits from them as well because their beards still need hydration, and a rinse-out formula will help significantly with frizz and detangling knots.
On the other hand, leave-in conditioners are heavier and designed to provide long-lasting hydration throughout the day. They're great for men with dry, coarse, or unruly beards. The added moisture can help to tame flyaway hairs and keep your beard looking neater. Leave-in conditioners also help men brittle or damaged beards by providing nutrients and antioxidants that can encourage healthy growth and repair damage.
Ultimately, the best way to find out what works for you is to experiment with both types of conditioners. Many men find that combining the two gives the best results. No matter what kind of beard you have, there's a conditioner out there that can help you achieve the look and beard health you're going for.
Additional Beard Conditioner FAQs
Is it better to use a conditioner or shampoo on my beard?
Ideally, you should use both. Shampoo removes dirt, debris, and built-up product from your facial hair, while conditioner helps to hydrate and soften the hair. When used together, they can help you achieve a healthy-looking beard by reducing beard itch, beard dandruff and repairing split ends.
Should I use beard conditioner before or after I shampoo?
Shampooing should always come first. When you use a good quality beard shampoo, you're prepping your facial hair for the conditioner by removing any dirt or buildup that could prevent the conditioner from doing its job.
Do I need to use conditioner if I use beard oil?
Maybe. Beard conditioner and beard oil both help to hydrate the hair, but they serve different purposes. Beard conditioner is designed to be used immediately after a beard shampoo and is rinsed out. It also helps longer beards stay tangle-free. Beard oil, on the other hand, is meant to be left in the beard and can be used daily.
Do I need to use conditioner if I use beard balm?
Again, maybe. Like beard oil, beard balm is a leave-in product that can benefit all facial hair types. It will provide hydration on its own, but for men with dryer beards, adding beard conditioner to their routine will help to achieve optimal results.
Can I use a regular conditioner on my beard?
No. At least we don't recommend it. Regular conditioners are not formulated to take care of the specific needs of facial hair. They may be too heavy or not hydrate properly, which can lead to a host of problems like beard dandruff, itchiness, and split ends. And if you're conditioning your beard, chances are that's not what you're looking for.
What if I don't rinse out my beard conditioner properly?
It's important to rinse your beard well when using any kind of rinse-out conditioner. Otherwise, you run the risk of leaving behind a residue that can weigh down your beard hair, make it look greasy, and cause irritation. The easiest solution is to take your time when showering and ensure that all the conditioner is rinsed before you step out.
Do I need to use a special brush or comb when conditioning my beard?
No. We recommend using your fingers to work the conditioner through your facial hair. This allows you to evenly distribute the product and avoid tugging or pulling that could damage the hair. Once the conditioner is in, you canuse a beard comb to help detangle the beard either in the shower or after. Following your shower, you canuse a beard brush to help guide and tame your facial hair.
Do I need to use conditioner every time I wash my beard?
Most men find that after washing their beard, they benefit from using a specially formulated beard conditioner to help keep their facial hair looking and feeling its best. Even high-quality shampoos may strip away some of the natural oils that keep your beard healthy, so using a conditioner helps to replenish those lost nutrients.
If my beard is already soft, can I still benefit from using beard conditioner?
Yes. While a good quality beard conditioner can help to soften the hair, it also provides essential nutrients that keep the hair healthy. So even if your beard is already soft, you can still benefit from using a conditioner to help maintain its health and prevent future damage.
The Best Beard Conditioner and Other Fine Men's Grooming Products
Achieving grooming excellence is easy when you trust in Seven Potions and our line of high-quality beard care products. We've got you covered from start to finish, whether you need a good beard conditioner, shampoo, oil, balm, or wax. And you canfind all of these in our Beard Care Bundle.
Seven Potions Beard Conditioner
If you're looking for a conditioner that will help your beard look healthy and full,Seven Potions Beard Conditioner is the perfect choice. Our natural formula works to lock in the beard's natural oils while adding moisture and hydration. The result is a softer, more manageable beard that is less prone to itchiness, dandruff, and skin irritation. Plus, our conditioner makes combing and brushing a pain-free experience - even for those with longer beards.
Seven Potions Beard Shampoo
Seven Potions Beard Shampoo is the perfect way to start your beard care routine. It’s the best beard wash for cleansing the dirt and grime of the outside world, relaxes your bristly beard, and sets the groundwork for a healthy beard. This is the first step to achieving the soft, hydrated, and moisturised beard of a modern gentleman. Maintaining great appearances and optimal health really can begin with something as simple as a good wash with the right product.
Seven Potions Beard Oil
Seven Potions Beard Oil is a luxurious, high-quality beard oil that will keep your facial hair soft, healthy, and itch-free. There's no doubt that you need it in your life. Our potent blend of natural oils and vegan ingredients is designed to penetrate deep into your beard and the skin beneath, providing long-lasting hydration and moisture. It's the perfect way to achieve a healthy, soft, and manageable beard.
Seven Potions Beard Balm
If you're looking for a styling product that does it all, look no further thanSeven Potions Beard Balm. Our balm can be used as a leave-in conditioner and styling agent, allowing you to tame flyaways, add shine, and control unruly beard hair. Our balm is also an excellent way to moisturise and protect the skin beneath your beard, made with vegan ingredients like jojoba wax and natural plant butters.
In case you didn’t know, jojoba — akaSimmondsia Chinensis, quinine nut, goat nut, pignut, deer nut, wild hazel, coffeeberry, and gray box bush — is a plant native to southwestern North America. It has beenused for its dermatological benefits for thousands of years thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties and ability to enhance the absorption of other ingredients combined with it. It is a potent ingredient for any beard softener and will help other ingredients like shea butter penetrate the hair shaft more effectively.
Seven Potions Beard Wax
Seven Potions Beard Wax is a versatile styling product that can be used to tame wispy facial hairs and style them into the perfect shape. In addition, it provides an ideal amount of hold without a sticky residue. Made with natural ingredients, our Beard Wax leaves your facial hair hydrated and moisturised while helping you style the perfect beard. So jump on board the bearded bandwagon and give your face the best chance of looking its absolute best.