For most of history, personal hygiene for men was a relatively simple affair: a quick splash of water in the morning, perhaps a shave, and that was about it. However, times have changed, and modern men are increasingly aware of the importance of caring for their skin. As a result, a daily facial cleansing routine is now an essential part of any well-groomed man’s arsenal, and there are several good reasons for this.
As any modern gentleman knows, taking care of one’s appearance is essential for bettering your self-esteem, making a great first impression, and feeling confident in any situation. And while there are many aspects to this, one of the most important is keeping one’s face clean and well-groomed. Unfortunately, many men overlook the importance of washing their faces regularly. But the truth is that numerous benefits can be gained from doing so.
This article will explore why it’s essential for men to wash their faces, how to do it properly, and what products to use. By the end, you should understand why face washing is so important and how to ensure you’re doing it right.
Why It’s Important for Men to Wash Their Faces
It’s a well-known fact that a gentleman’s face is his fortune. And yet, as any modern gentleman knows, it can be all too easy for one’s face to become covered in dirt and grime throughout the course of a day. Whether it’s from the pollution in the air or simply the natural process of sweating and rubbing your face throughout the day, it’s important to keep on top of things and ensure you’re cleansing your face regularly. It’s no surprise that a man who doesn’t wash his face regularly is at risk for several skin problems.
Reduce Clogged Pores
The dirt and oil that accumulate on your skin can clog pores and lead to blackheads, pimples, and other blemishes. A man’s face is home to hundreds of thousands of pores, which are tiny openings in the skin that allow sweat and oil to escape. When these pores become clogged with dirt, oil and dead skin cells, it can lead to blackheads, pimples and other blemishes. This happens when sebum — an oily substance secreted by the sebaceous glands — mixes with dead skin cells and environmental debris and forms a plug that blocks the pore. This plug then traps bacteria inside the pore, causing inflammation and leading to the formation of blemishes. Some other factors can contribute to clogged pores, including genetics, hormones, stress, and diet. However, one of the most common causes of clogged pores is simply not cleaning your face enough.
Prevent Skin Infections
In addition, the growth of bacteria can cause acne flare-ups and skin infections. The skin on our face is home to millions of bacteria. In fact, it’s estimated that more than 1,000 different types of bacteria live on our skin at any given time. Don’t be too frightened by this fact. Contrary to popular belief, not all bacteria are harmful to you. In fact, many beneficial forms of bacteria live on your skin, helping to keep it healthy and free from infection while boosting your immune system. Some help to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria by producing antimicrobial substances. Other types, such asS. epidermidis, protect the skin by creating a compound that helps protect the skin from water loss and damage. Unfortunately, not all bacteria that reside on your face and skin are beneficial. Some types will lead to skin infections if they can proliferate and grow unchecked.
Bacterial skin infections can develop when bacteria enter through hair follicles or small skin breaks. For men, shaving is a common cause of skin irritation and can lead to bacterial infections if the skin is nicked or cuts are not adequately cleaned. Razor burn and shaving cuts are particularly susceptible to bacterial infection when proper face washing isn’t part of the routine. Burst pimples or other blemishes are also an entry point for bacteria that can cause skin infections. Other common ways bacteria may find their way into your skin are sunburns, insect bites, and preexisting skin disorders like eczema, which may leave your skin vulnerable.
A typical bacterial skin infection dermatologists often report seeing in men is folliculitis, an infection of hair follicles withStaphylococcus aureus (staph) bacteria. This infection of the hair follicles can cause redness, swelling, and pain and often appears as small bumps on the skin that are filled with pus. This issue generally lasts about two weeks and will require keeping the affected area clean and dry. In some cases, an antibiotic may be necessary to clear the infection.
Achieve a Better Complexion
Another reason to wash your face regularly is that dirt and dead skin cells can build up on the surface of your skin, leading to a dull, uneven complexion. The skin’s surface is constantly renewing itself, shedding dead skin cells and producing new ones. However, this process can be disrupted by a number of factors, including sun exposure, pollution, and harsh working conditions. As a result, dirt and dead skin cells can build up on the surface of the skin, leading to that dull, uneven complexion. Cleansing and exfoliating regularly are essential for maintaining a healthy, radiant complexion. Cleansing removes dirt and other impurities from the skin’s surface, while exfoliating helps slog off dead skin cells and reveal the fresh, glowing skin beneath. When done correctly, cleansing and exfoliation can help restore the skin’s natural balance, revealing a more youthful and radiant complexion.
Help Prevent Premature Ageing
Finally, not washing your face can cause premature ageing, as dirt and pollution can accelerate the breakdown of collagen and elastin. These proteins keep your skin firm and elastic, and when they break down more quickly than they’re being produced, your skin starts to sag and wrinkle. So, in addition to keeping your skin clean and free from dirt and pollution, washing your face regularly may also help slow the appearance of the ageing process.
Best Products for Men to Use When Washing Their Faces
When it comes to the best products for men like yours to use to wash and maintain clean and healthy skin, there are only two categories you need to be concerned with: face washes/cleansers and scrubs.
- Face Washes and Cleansers – The best face washes and cleansers for men will remove dirt, oil, and sweat without stripping the skin of its natural moisture. Look for products specifically designed for men’s skin and contains nourishing ingredients to help keep your skin hydrated.
- Face Scrubs –Face scrubs are an important part of any man’s facial cleansing routine as they help to slough off dead skin cells and reveal the fresh, glowing skin beneath. Choose a scrub that contains natural, gentle exfoliating beads or particles to avoid irritation. This product is to be used in conjunction with a face wash, preferably before shaving, as it will help lift any unwanted facial hair and prep the skin for a closer, smoother shave.
What Not to Use to Wash Your Face
If you’re wondering what not to use to wash your face, the answer is simple: anything that is harsh or drying. Harsh cleansers can strip the natural oils from your skin, leaving it dry, irritated, and more susceptible to ageing. Therefore, it’s essential not to use the following products:
- Generic Bar Soap – These often contain harsh ingredients that can strip the natural oils from your skin. Some men will find these products drying on their hands. Imagine what they’re doing to the more fragile skin on your face.
- Hand Soap – Soap is not soap! While it might contain some nourishing ingredients, a product designed to wash hands is still too harsh to use on your face.
- Body Wash – A body wash is formulated for the much tougher skin on your body, not the delicate skin on your face. It will likely contain ingredients that can strip away the natural oils from your skin, potentially leaving it dry and irritated.
- Dishwashing Liquid – We’re not sure who needs to hear this, but we’ll say it anyway, don’t use liquid soap designed to wash dishes to clean anything but your dishes. This should be a no-brainer, but you’d be surprised how many men reach for dishwashing liquid as a hand soap. An even worse insult to your skin is when it’s used to wash your face. If you’ve ever done this, consider this your sign from above to never do it again.
- Water – Of course, water will be part of any grooming and personal care routine. Our good friend H2O is going to be there for you whether you’re taking a shower, shaving, or washing your face. And while splashing some cool water on your face is nice during hot weather, it’s not a face-washing solution. Water simply won’t remove all the dirt, oil, and other impurities from your skin. You need a product that will actually cleanse your face, not just rinse it.
The Right Way to Wash Your Face
Yes, there is a correct way to wash your face. By following these steps, you’ll ensure that your skin gets the cleansing it needs without being stripped of its natural moisture.
- Start with clean hands – This is a step some men don’t think about when it comes to face-washing, but it’s important. First, think about all the places your hands have been during the day and all the things they’ve come into contact with. Now, imagine those same hands rubbing all that bacteria and dirt into your face. Not a pleasant thought, is it? So before you do anything else, make sure your hands are clean.
- Wet your face with warm water – It’s important to start the face washing process with damp skin. It’s also important to select the correct temperature of the water. Some of us love the feeling of ice cold water first thing in the morning or hot water during cooler winter months. However, when it comes to cleansing your face, warm water is best. Why? Because it’s not too harsh or drying on the skin, it will still help to loosen any dirt, oil, or other impurities stuck to your skin.
- Dispense a small amount of face wash into your hands – Just like with shampoo, you don’t need a lot of product to get the job done. In fact, using too much cleanser can actually be drying on the skin. So start with a small amount (we’re talking about a pea-sized amount) and add more if you need it.
- Apply the product to your face – Some face washes and cleansers can be rubbed between fingertips or palms to activate the ingredients, while others can be applied directly to the skin of your face. Follow the directions on your face wash of choice for best results.
- Wash your face – Using your fingertips and gentle, circular motions, massage the face wash or cleanser into your skin. Be sure to avoid the sensitive area around the eyes. Don’t scrub with anything abrasive, and don’t be too aggressive with your hands. Doing so can irritate the skin and cause inflammation.
- Rinse your face with warm water – Once you’ve given your face a good wash, it’s time to rinse off all the dirt, oil, and other impurities that have been loosened. Use warm water (again, not too hot or too cold) and splash it onto your face several times. You can also use your hands to help rinse away the cleanser.
- Pat your face dry with a clean towel – Now that your face is clean, it’s important to pat it dry with a clean towel. Gently blotting your skin will remove any excess water without stripping away any of the natural oils that keep your skin healthy and hydrated.
How Often Should Men Wash Their Face?
While you may have a daily grooming routine that keeps you looking sharp, you may be neglecting one crucial step: washing your face. How often should men wash their faces? The answer may surprise you.
Most dermatologists agree that men should wash their face twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. This will help remove dirt, oil, and sweat that can build up over the course of the day and lead to clogged pores and breakouts. However, face wash is not a one-size-fits-all product. The frequency with which you wash your face will also be dictated by your skin type. For example, if you have dry or sensitive skin, you may only need to wash your face once a day.
While face wash is important for all gentlemen, there are some additional reasons why you should make sure to wash your face in the morning. First, it will help to wake you up and give you a refreshed start to the day. Second, it will remove any residue from your nighttime skincare routine so that your skin can absorb your morning products better. And finally, it will allow you to take a moment for yourself before starting your day.
Washing your face in the evening is just as important as washing it in the morning. This will remove any dirt, pollution, or product that has accumulated on your skin throughout the day. It will also give you a chance to wind down and relax before bed. So go ahead and add face wash to your nightly routine — your skin will thank you for it.
Additional Skincare Products for a Clean and Healthy Face
A high-quality face wash made from top-shelf ingredients is just one part of a healthy skincare routine for gentlemen like yourself. To achieve and maintain clear, healthy skin, you’ll do well to use other products in conjunction with your face wash. These might include:
Moisturiser for Men
A moisturiser helps to keep the skin hydrated and protects it from the elements. It can also help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, making it an essential anti-ageing tool. For those who regularly shave, moisturiser can also help to soothe irritation and prevent ingrown hairs. Simply put, there are many good reasons for men to use a moisturiser on a daily basis. Face wash is an important first step in cleansing the skin, but it can also strip away natural oils, leaving the face feeling dry and tight. A good moisturiser will help to restore lost moisture, leaving the skin soft, supple, and healthy-looking. In short, using a moisturiser after face wash is the best way to achieve clean, healthy, and well-moisturised skin.
Every man knows that a close shave is essential for looking sharp. However, achieving the perfect shave isn’t always easy. One of the best ways to ensure a clean, close shave is to use pre-shave oil. Pre-shave oil helps to soften facial hair and prepare the skin for shaving. It also provides a layer of protection that can help to reduce razor burn and irritation. Best of all, pre-shave oil only takes a few seconds to apply, and it can make a big difference in the quality of your shave. So if you’re looking for a way to step up your shaving game to achieve the clean and healthy skin you’ve always dreamed of, pre-shave oil is definitely worth a try.
Good shaving cream is an integral part of any man’s shaving kit. But, it’s not just about looking good; a high-quality shaving cream can help to keep your face clean and healthy. Here’s how it works: applying shaving cream to your face creates a thin layer of protection between your skin and the razor blade. This barrier helps prevent nicks and cuts and reduces irritation by providing a smooth surface for the razor to glide over. In addition, shaving cream helps to soften the hair on your face, making it easier to shave without causing irritation. When applied correctly, shaving cream can make all the difference between a close, comfortable shave and a painful one. So don’t skimp on the shaving cream — it’s essential to any well-groomed gentleman’s routine and for maintaining clean, healthy skin.
A shaving brush is an essential tool for any man who wants to achieve a close, comfortable shave. The bristles help to lift the hair away from the skin, allowing the razor to cut closer to the follicle. In addition, the brush helps to create a rich lather that lubricates the skin and helps to prevent nicks and cuts. When used correctly, a shaving brush can help to exfoliate the skin, remove dead skin cells, and unclog pores. As a result, it can leave your face feeling clean, smooth, and healthy. In short, a shaving brush is a must-have for any man who wants to up his grooming game. Your skin will thank you for it.
Double Edge Safety Razor
A double-edge safety razor is a great tool to help keep skin looking great and healthy. For those unfamiliar with the term, a safety razor is a shaving razor with a protective guard that reduces the risk of cuts. Double edge simply means that the blade is sharpened on both sides, allowing for a closer shave. While cartridge razors are more popular, safety razors offer several advantages. First, they provide a closer shave, which means less irritation and fewer ingrown hairs. Second, they are more cost-effective in the long run. Blades for safety razors are relatively inexpensive, and the razors themselves last for years. Finally, there is something to be said for embracing a shaving culture that is a little closer to the originals. For many men, using a safety razor is an enjoyable ritual that provides a sense of satisfaction and relaxation. In short, there are many good reasons to use a double-edge safety razor. With its ability to provide a close shave with fewer irritations, it is an excellent choice for those who want to keep their skin looking its best.
Post Shave Balm
A close shave is the foundation of a well-groomed appearance, but it’s only half the battle. To look your best, you must take care of your skin, including using a post-shave balm. A good post-shave balm will soothe your skin and help to prevent razor burn. It will also moisturise your skin, keeping it healthy and hydrated. In addition, a post-shave balm can help to reduce the appearance of pores and give your skin a smooth, youthful appearance. So if you’re looking for clean, healthy skin, don’t forget to reach for the post-shave balm.
A good beard brush does more than just make your beard look its best - it also helps to keep the skin beneath healthy and free of problems like dandruff. Beards can be a breeding ground for all sorts of bacteria and fungi, and the skin underneath is very sensitive. So a good brush will help to remove dead skin cells and distribute oils evenly, preventing the build-up of funk that can lead to problems like dandruff. In addition, a good brush will stimulate blood flow to the area, which helps to keep the skin looking healthy and prevents dullness. And of course, a well-groomed beard always looks more polished than a scruffy one — so it is good for your health and will also help you look your best.
Beard Shampoo and Conditioner
If you have a beard, then you know that keeping it clean and presentable can be a bit of a challenge. Beards are susceptible to all sorts of build-up, from dirt and dust to oil and sweat. And unless you’re careful, all of that build-up can end up on your skin, leading to irritation and blemishes. That’s where beard shampoo and conditioner come in. These speciality grooming products are designed to cleanse and condition your facial hair without striping away the natural oils that keep your skin healthy. As a result, you’ll enjoy softer, cleaner beard hair — and healthier skin underneath. So if you’re looking for a way to keep your beard looking its best, don’t forget the power of good beard shampoo and nourishing beard conditioner.
Final Face Wash Thoughts
If you’re looking for a face wash that can take your grooming game to the next level, then we suggest giving Seven Potions Face Wash a try. Our unique blend of natural ingredients helps to cleanse and nourish your skin, while the light scent provides an energising boost. And best of all, it’s gentle enough for daily use — so you can enjoy healthy, clean skin every day. In addition, it will help all skin types maintain moisture, hydration, and a healthy appearance. Best of all, it’s vegan and cruelty-free. So why not give us a try today? You won’t be disappointed.
Main image: bigstock